TDOT Strategic Direction
Having a clear strategic direction helps the Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) to provide a safe and effective transportation system for our citizens and visitors to our state, make decisions about our investments and resources, and prepare and work toward the vision for the future. TDOT has adopted a strategic management approach that focuses on positioning the organization to effectively fulfill its mission both now and in the future.
TDOT’s Strategic Direction is comprised of 3 key components including the Mission, Vision, and Values.
Provide a safe & reliable transportation system to support economic growth & quality of life.
Pursue Excellence | Modernize & Manage Infrastructure | Empower Workforce | Strengthen Customer Trust
Empowering People through:
- Development | Continually growing and sharing our knowledge, expertise, and experience.
- Innovation | Looking for new and emerging ways to serve and communicate with our customers.
- Safety | Proactively identifying and mitigating hazardous conditions for our employees, contractors, and the traveling public.
- Collaboration | Working together internally and with our partners to share ideas, skills, and insights to get the best results.
Influencing Culture through:
- Family | Promoting a culture of caring, concern for others, and pride in what we do.
- Integrity | Doing the right thing through being professional and honest.
- Stewardship | Taking the best possible care of our assets.
- Consistency | Being reliable and uniform in our actions and words.
Links to Key Departmental Plans and Reports
Strategic management requires a systems perspective. Alignment and integration of key components help to ensure consistency of plans, processes, measures and actions. Other plans of strategic importance to TDOT include the following:
- TDOT's Top to Bottom Report (PDF) - TDOT's Top to Bottom Review provides key organizational findings and recommendations for improvement based on an assessment conducted in 2011 which included surveys, interviews, focus groups, and review of relevant reports and plans.
- Tennessee 25-Year Transportation Plan - The Long Range Transportation Plan sets policy priorities which influence how transportation investments are prioritized across the state for the next 25 years.