Local Programs Training
This page details the optional and required trainings for local governments wishing to administer State and Federal Aid projects through the Local Programs Development Office.
The Local Programs Development Office offers required Local Government Guidelines Manual and Right-of-Way Training. This is a 1½ day class which is offered 4-5 times per year. The certification is valid for a period of three years, and it is an individual certification.
There is also a required Consultant Engineering and Inspection (CEI) Training Course for local governments and their respective CEI staff/consultants who wish to perform the CEI requirements on State and Federally funded projects. There are two levels of participation. The first level (One-Day Training Class) will address the needs of local government officials and administrators concerned with managing program funding and overseeing the construction phase. The second level (Two-Day Training Class) will focus on CEI Consultants and local governments that wish to perform their own CEI services on construction projects. The certification is valid for a period of five years.
To be added to the training class email distribution list, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
TDOT’s Local Programs Development and Right-of-Way Offices will be holding trainings which are required for local municipalities and professional engineering firms in order to locally manage a TDOT project through the Local Programs Development Office. This class will teach the six phases of project development per the Local Government Guidelines Manual. It is required to attend at least one of these classes every three years in order to locally manage a project through the Local Programs Development Office
2023 Local Government Guidelines Manual & ROW Training Sessions
Jackson - December 12th & 13th
TDOT Region 4 Auditorium
300 Benchmark Place
Jackson, TN 38301
LGGM Training: December 12th from 8:30 - 3:30 CST
ROW & NEPA Training: December 13th from 8:30 - 3:30 CST
The Office of Local Programs Development offers a Construction Engineering and Inspection (CEI) Training Course, which is required for all local governments and CEIs to take every five years.The course has two levels of certification:
1.The first level (One-Day Training Class) addresses the needs of local government officials and administrators concerned with managing program funding and overseeing the construction phase. This class teaches participants what to expect of a hired CEI. Only local governments are allowed to attend this class.
2. The second level (Two-DayTraining Class) focuses on those local governments that wish to perform their own CEI and consultants who wish to be hired to perform the CEI for local governments. The primary goal of the second level training is to ensure that CEIs fully understand the extent of their responsibilities. This class will walk through the forms, procedures, and potential issues during the construction phase.
2023 CEI Training Classes:
November 27th - 29th at the Region 4 Auditorium
Level 1 Training Class - November 27th, 2023
November 27th, 2023 from 10:00 - 2:30 CST
To Register Contact: Teresa Layhew
Local Government Officials & Administrators (1 day class)
Level 2 Training Class – November 28th, 2023 & November 29th, 2023
All CEI level 2 attendees must attend both sessions to receive their Level 2 CEI Certification
November 28th, 2023 from 9:00 - 4:00 CST
November 29th, 2023 from 8:30 - 12:00 CST
To Register Contact: Teresa Layhew
CEI Professionals (2 day class)
Costs There is no charge for government personnel. Engineering firms will be required to provide a $75 payment per registration for attendance.
Please make checks payable to : Tennessee Department of Transportation.
Mail payment to:
c/o Teresa Layhew
2995 Sidco Drive
Nashville, TN 37204
If you are on the list attached below, you are currently Level 1 certified (eligible to manage a CEI):
If you are on the list attached below, you are currently Level 2 certified (eligible to conduct CEI services on locally managed projects):
- 2023 Local Government Guidelines Presentation
- Local Government Guidelines Class Supplemental Packet for 2023
- May 2023 Local Government Guidelines Class Agenda
- 2022 Right-of-Way Acquisition and Utility Relocation Presentation
- 2022 Right-of-Way Acquistion and Utility Relocation Presentation Full Slides
- 2023 NEPA Office Training Presentation
- ROW Contact Information for Local Agencies
- 2022 CEI Level 1 Training Class PowerPoint
- 2022 CEI Level 2 Training Class PowerPoint
- 2022 CEI Full Powerpoint PDF
- 2021 Supplemental Materials for CEI Classes
- 2022 Local Government Guidelines Full Size Presentation - Statewide Virtual Class
Additional Training Opportunities
Frequently Asked Questions