The planning section is responsible for providing technical assistance to airport sponsors and private entities regarding airport-level planning activities. Planning seeks to provide the framework needed to guide future airport development by identifying needs, establishing a schedule for implementation, and proposing a financial plan to support the implementation schedule. Under the State Block Grant Program, the Aeronautics Division reviews and provides approval for Airport Layout Plans (ALP) on behalf of the FAA.
For planning related questions, contact:
Evan Lester | Transportation Manager 1
Airport Capital Improvement Plans (ACIPs)
- State Priority Ranking System for Airport Projects (PDF)
- ACIP Infographic (PDF)
- ACIP Overall Development Objective (ODO) Worksheet (PDF)
- ACIP Project Identification Worksheet (PDF)
2022 ACIP Annual Meeting Media
- Presentation Slides (pdf)
- Presentation Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKa3tTj_uHQ (YouTube)
- 2022 Consultant Meeting - Key Takeways (PDF)
- 2022 Consultant Meeting - Final (PPT)
- 2022 Consultant Meeting September 22, 2022 - YouTube
2021 ACIP Annual Meeting Media
2020 ACIP Annual Meeting Media
- Presentation Videos: https://youtu.be/nT-C5CUck_I (YouTube)
2018 ACIP Annual Meeting Media
- Presentation Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfII2wp1h9r6pyz4XQdZ4FYyrw2iYN3x3 (YouTube)
- Presentation Slides (PDF)
2017 ACIP Annual Meeting Media
- Presentation Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfII2wp1h9r7J21MUbgmzYgtt8J-NdAeR (YouTube)
- Presentation Slides: Frazier and Briggs Presentation (PDF), JP Saalwaechter Presentation (PDF)
Airport Layout Plans (ALPs)
- ALP Pay Provisions 2.3 (PDF)
- ALP Pay Provisions 2.4 (PDF)
- ALP Pay Provisions 3.0 (PDF)
- ALP Review Checklist (PDF)
- Exhibit A Review Checklist (PDF)
- Approved ALPs
- ALP Project SOP for NPIAS Airports (PDF)
- ALP Work Authorization Template (Word)
- AC 150/5190-4A - A Model Zoning Ordinance to Limit Height of Objects Around Airports
- Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 42 - Chapter 6- Airport Zoning: Tenn. Code Ann. § 42-6
Studies and Planning Tools
Please click the title link above to download the Environmental Submittal Schedule.
1 TAC- Tennessee Aeronautics Commission
Funding requests for "Final Project Formulation" greater than or equal to $50,000 will be considered by the Tennessee Aeronautics Commission at the scheduled public meeting. The TAC will recommend Federal and/or State funding approval or denial to the TDOT Commissioner. See TDOT Policy Number: 170-02
TAC meetings are held on the last Thursday of the respective months.
2 Aeronautics Review completed within three weeks of receiving project funding request.
3 The deadlines for project requests are on Wednesdays of the respective months.