Pursuant to T.C.A. § 49-13-145, the State Board shall ensure the effective operation of charter school authorizers in the state and shall evaluate authorizer quality. The State Board is charged with conducting periodic evaluations of authorizers to determine authorizer compliance. An authorizer’s failure to remedy non-compliance may result in the reduction of the authorizer fee.
The State Board evaluates Tennessee's six charter school authorizers at least every two years. Authorizers are assigned an evaluation cohort and new authorizers shall be added to a cohort, as needed.
The State Board's Authorizer Evaluation process is outlined in State Board Rule 0520-14-01-.08, State Board Policy 6.113, and the following documents:
- 2022 Authorizer Evaluation - Authorizer Handbook
- 2022 Authorizer Evaluation - Corrective Action Plan Template
- 2022 Authorizer Evaluation - Non-Evaluation Year Self-Assessment
- 2022 Authorizer Evaluation - Evaluator Guide
- 2022 Authorizer Evaluation - Evaluator Additional Guidance
- 2022 Authorizer Evaluation - Rubric
TN Authorizer Connect
The State Board hosts a bimonthly authorizer meet-up to provide authorizers and charter support agencies the opportunity to connect and share resources on a variety of topics. To receive information about the next meet-up, please contact Ali Reid at firstname.lastname@example.org.