Frequently Asked Questions

To obtain an oversize or overweight permit in Tennessee, contact the Department of Transportation

Trip permits may be purchased from any Truck Stop which has wire service. Please refer to the white pages, yellow pages or the internet for the nearest Truck Stop.

To Contest an Assessment

Waiver of penalties may be granted for certain registration violations upon providing all documentation to prove the violation has been corrected; Axle violations are not eligible. Per TCA 55-4-113(a)(7)( l ), All submissions must be made to the department within 30 days from the date of the violation.

The submission should include the following information in order to be reviewed.

  • A copy of the overweight tax assessment
  • A written request to review with a phone number, fax number and contact person
  • Proof of proper registration of the appropriate classification of tag

Send by one of the following avenues:

  • Fax to 615-401-2516  Attn: Overweight Tax Assessments
  • Email address:
  • Mail to:

    Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security
    Commercial Vehicle Administration
    Overweight Tax Assessments
    1150 Foster Ave.
    Nashville, TN 37243

Payment of Assessment

Amount due shall be forwarded to:

Tennessee Department of Safety
Cashier’s Section
1150 Foster Avenue
Nashville, TN 37243-1555

Payment is due within ten (10) days from the date of violation. Please send a copy of the assessment and include the assessment number on the payment.

NOTE: We accept personal checks, business checks, cashier's checks, and money orders.  Credit card/debit card payment may be made at the following link:

For more information about credit card/debit card payment, please email:

Please include a copy of your overweight assessment with your payment and put your assessment number on the personal check, business check, cashier’s check or money order. The assessment number is located in the upper right hand corner of the overweight assessment.

According to state law [TCA: 55-4-113(l)], the COMPANY is issued documentation for the overweight assessment to be paid to the state and the DRIVER is issued a citation for the overweight which is paid to the county. Payments for the tickets are as follows:

  • The documentation for the overweight assessment fee which is issued to the COMPANY is paid to the state (see above address) – this money is to be paid within ten (10) days of the date of the assessment.
  • The citation (pink copy) which is issued to the DRIVER is paid to the county of issuance. Refer to the pink ticket; there is a label with the county information. If the fee for the ticket is not listed and/or the court date; there is a number for general session’s court you can call and get the information. The money for the county ticket has to be paid before the court date or whatever arrangements you may make with the county. The state is not responsible for collecting the money for the Drivers citation or the disposition of the ticket.

You will find information on IRP/IFTA/UCR at the Department of Revenue's Motor Carrier section.

IRP - International Registration Plan
IFTA - International Fuel Tax Agreement
UCR - Unified Carrier Registration

1-888-826-3151 (IRP)
1-888-468-9025 (IFTA)

To obtain an inspection on a homemade trailer or a trailer with no VIN:

  • Print a copy of the homemade trailer application and fill out as much information as you know. Be sure to list the full address (including county) where the trailer is located and a phone number where the owner can be reached during business hours.
  • Mail the application along with $25.00 (check or money order) to:

    Tennessee Dept. of Safety
    Cashier’s Office
    1148 Foster Avenue
    Nashville, TN  37243

  • After the payment is received in the Cashier’s office, they will send a receipt to Commercial Vehicle Administration.
  • The Commercial Vehicle Administration personnel will assign a VIN number for the trailer and forward the application to the district where the address of the owner is listed.
  • Each District has dedicated personnel to handle the inspection of the trailer and the Trooper will call the owner and make arrangements to meet and inspect the trailer.
  • If the trailer passes the inspection, the Trooper will chisel a VIN number on the tongue of the trailer and give the owner paperwork to take to the county clerk’s office where the owner wants it registered. You will need to contact your local county clerk’s office to inquire what paperwork they require in addition to what the Trooper will give you.

    Please allow 4 – 6 weeks from the time you sent in the paperwork for the process to be completed.
  • For requirements on the trailer, visit our homemade trailer requirements page.

Effective October 1, 2008, the Federal reporting requirement for commercial vehicle convictions was changed from 30 days to 10 days (FMCSA Part 384: State Compliance with Commercial Driver’s License Program, §384.209 Notification of Traffic Violations).

For additional information on the new reporting requirements and how to report convictions, visit our CDL Citations page.