Proof of Citizenship/Lawful Permanent Residency

NOTE: All documents are subject to further verification with the issuing agency or source. Documents subject to verification may delay the issuance of your license.

NOTE: All items must be original documents. No photocopies will be accepted.


Acceptable Documents for U.S. Citizenship

  • Official Birth Certificate issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction or territory (Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, Swain's Island, Guam) 
  • U.S. Government-issued Certified Birth Certificate
  • U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad (DS-1350 or FS-545)
  • Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the U.S. (FS-240)
  • Valid, unexpired U.S. Passport
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N560 or N561)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N550, N570 or N578)
  • U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-197, I-179)

Acceptable Documents for Lawful Permanent Resident Status

  • Permanent Resident Alien Card (I-551)
  • Foreign passport stamped by the U.S. Government indicating that the holder has been "Processed for I-551"
  • Permanent resident Re-entry Permit (I-327)
  • Arrival Departure Form I-94 with “Temporary I-551” stamp and holder’s photograph affixed
  • Travel Document issued to Permanent Residents (I-327)
  • Travel Document issued to Refugees (I-571)
  • Form I-94 stamped  with one of the following statuses:  Asylee, Parolee or Parole, Refugee, Asylum, HP-humanitarian parolee or PIP-public interest parolee