Modernized e-File (Mef) Program
As part of the Tennessee Department of Revenue's on-going effort to provide more electronic filing options, tax preparers can now submit Franchise and Excise Tax and Hall income tax returns and payments electronically using software commercially-available through approved vendors.
The Tennessee Department of Revenue is now accepting franchise & excise tax returns, extensions, and quarterly estimated payments as well as, Hall income tax returns through the IRS Modernized e-File (MeF) Program. This partnership between states and the Internal Revenue Service allows tax preparers to include the state tax return and any associated payment with its electronically filed federal return. The state tax return is forwarded electronically from the Internal Revenue Service directly to the state. This process allows returns to be processed fast and accurately.
Forms currently accepted through the IRS Modernized e-File (MeF) Program include:
- Franchise, Excise Tax Return (FAE170)
- Application for Extension of Time to File (FAE173)
- Quarterly Franchise and Excise Tax Declarations (FAE172)
- Financial Institutions/Real Estate Investment (FAE174)
- Hall Income Tax Return (INC250)
- Application for Extension of Time to File (INC251)