Approved Brands

Before an alcoholic beverage brand can be distributed in Tennessee, it must be registered with the Department.  Manufacturers or importers should register and renew their brands through the Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (TNTAP).  Each brand registration must be renewed every year by May 31.

To register a brand, you must submit the following documents to the Department:

  • Brand registration application
  • Tax payment
  • A copy of the non-resident Tennessee license for the registrant (issued by the Tennessee Alcoholic Beverage Commission);
  •  A copy of the federal basic permit;
  • A copy of the brand label (if the brand is distributed under more than one label, each respective label must also be furnished);
  • A copy of the federal C.O.L.A. for each brand; and
  • The original Tennessee wholesaler contract with the exact brand name listed.

Please note that all brands must be registered using the alcohol content by weight (ABW).  To convert a brand's alcohol content by volume (ABV) to ABW, use the following formula:  ABV x 0.8 = ABW.