Tennessee Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Program
Below is information and resources for Tennessee families who may need assistance in finding formula. You can also visit your local health department with questions or call your pediatrician to ask about resources or options that might be available.
- Formula Substitution List (WIC and non-WIC)
- Abbott Formula Recall Information October 2022
- American Academy of Pediatrics Formula FAQs
- Tennessee Breastfeeding Resources
- Abbott Formula Recall Information
- TN WIC and Infant Formula Recall FAQ 2022
- Find Formula During the Infant Formula Shortage | HHS.gov
- FDA Flexibilities to Yield Millions of Cans of Additional Infant Formula in Coming Months to Increase Supply Available to U.S. Consumers | FDA
- Enforcement Discretion to Manufacturers to Increase Infant Formula Supplies | FDA
- Abbott to Release EleCare® Amino Acid-based Formulas to Help Meet Critical Patient Need - May 24, 2022 (mediaroom.com)
- FDA Investigation of Cronobacter Infections: Powdered Infant Formula (February 2022) | FDA
- FDA Efforts to Result in Millions of Additional Bottles of Infant Formula to Further Increase U.S. Supply | FDA
- FDA Encourages Importation of Safe Infant Formula and Other Flexibilities to Further Increase Availability | FDA
- FDA Resources for Parents and Caregivers on Imported Infant Formula
RECALL REMINDER: The FDA has issued a recall on certain Jif peanut butter products. These products could contain salmonella which can cause serious infection and illness. Check your pantries and throw away recalled Jif products listed here: https://bit.ly/3NCDE4n and associated products here: https://bit.ly/393FtrS
Do you have or need a WIC appointment? Please call your local county health department for services. If you are trying to make a WIC appointment in Shelby County, please call 901-222-9980. For general questions about the WIC program, call 1-800-DIAL-WIC or scroll down for more information.
The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) is a federally-funded program designed to provide supplemental food assistance and nutrition education to low-income pregnant, postpartum, and breastfeeding women, infants, and children until age five. In addition to providing healthy supplemental foods, nutrition education, and breastfeeding support, the program also provides referrals to other health, welfare, and community-based services. WIC has proven to be effective in preventing and improving nutrition related health problems.
The WIC Program is funded through the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). WIC services are provided through the Tennessee Department of Health in 126 county health departments, stand-alone clinics, and hospital sites throughout the state. The program serves about 111,000 eligible participants each month. Participants must be a Tennessee resident, meet the gross income guidelines and be determined to be at nutritional or medical risk.
The COVID-19 vaccine is the best way to keep our children safe. The most common side-effect of the COVID-19 vaccine, which provides lasting protection, is a sore arm. The best way to protect children against COVID-19 is to get them vaccinated. Like other pediatric vaccines, the COVID-19 vaccine was thoroughly tested on children before being recommended. Parents with questions should talk to a pediatrician, school nurse, or trusted healthcare provider about their child and the COVID-19 vaccine. Finding a vaccine is easy and getting vaccinated is free. Parents will be able to find available vaccines at vaccines.gov or by contacting their health care provider, local health department, or local pharmacy.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT YOUR LOCAL HEALTH DEPARTMENT OR CALL 1-800-DIAL-WIC (1-800-342-5942)
Please let us now if you have difficulty understanding English or have a disability, free language assistance or other aids and services are available upon request. Individuals with disabilities that need communication assistance may also call 711 or 800-848-0299 for English and 866-503-0263 for Spanish for assistance contacting us.