Mineral Test Hole Permit

Who Needs A Mineral Test Hole Permit?

Persons who drill any hole in excess of one hundred (100) feet for the specific purpose of exploring for minerals, excluding oil and gas, must obtain a permit from the Tennessee Division of Mineral & Geologic Resources, Mining Unit.

What Information Must I Provide?

Applicants must submit the following items with the proper fees before starting any activity:

  • A notarized Application For Permit To Drill Mineral Test Hole (Form CN-0695) which requires the name, address and telephone number of the test hole owner or lessor, operator, test hole number, county, name of the U.S. Geological Survey 7.5 topographic quadrangle, location and type of drilling.
  • A Mineral Test Hole Organization Report (Form CN-0121) which identifies the company, organization, individual or group for whom the benefit of the project is being conducted.
  • A test hole location map or plat showing the location of all planned test holes on the appropriate topographic map or maps.
  • Evidence of a $1,000 plugging bond per test hole or a blanket plugging bond of $10,000 for all test holes drilled under a blanket permit (contact the Division of Mineral & Geologic Resources for instructions)
Form Description Form Number  
Mineral Test Hole Organization Report CN-0121  
Application for Permit to Drill Mineral Test Hole CN-0695  

How Will My Application Be Processed?

The application, required forms, and proper fees should be submitted to the Division of Mineral & Geologic Resources, Mining Unit. A detailed review of the application is conducted and the review process may take up to 15 days. No public review is required.

What Fees Are Required?

Permit fee: $100

What Are My Rights And Responsibilities After The Permit Is Approved?

The permittee may proceed with the approved activities as stated on the permit. The permit is non-transferable. The permittee is responsible for complying with testing, monitoring, prevention of hazards and pollution, and all other requirements pertaining to the drilling, coring, and plugging and abandoning of mineral test holes. Work performed under the permit must be reported to the Division in the Plug and Abandon Report (Form M-P&A, obtainable from the Division) within thirty (30) days after completion of the work in accordance with 0400-43-01-.05(6). 

What Are The Division's Rights And Responsibilities After The Permit Is Approved?

The Division has the right to inspect the site when deemed necessary. Penalties for violations can reach to a maximum of $10,000 per day per violation. The Tennessee Board of Water Quality, Oil and Gas is responsible for preventing waste and protecting the waters and natural resources of the state from any adverse effects associated with drilling or coring mineral test holes.

Whom Do I Contact For Applications, Assistance And Other Information?

Applicants may obtain applications and information from:

Division of Mineral & Geologic Resources, Mining Unit
Knoxville Environmental Field Office
3711 Middlebrook Pike
Knoxville, TN 37921
(865) 594-6035

Applicants seeking coverage under a general or individual Aquatic Resource Alteration Permit for activities associated with an NPDES permit for mining-related discharges, a Surface Mining permit, a Mineral Test Hole permit, coverage under TMSP Sector J, or the Rock Harvesting general permit must submit an application to the Mining Section at the Knoxville Environmental Field Office.  Electronic application submittals and requests for information specific to mining-related activities may be received at TDEC.Mining@tn.gov

Applicants may refer to the following publications for further information:

This Page Last Updated: May 2, 2024 at 3:59 PM