Participating School Eligibility
Participating schools are Tennessee Department of Education approved nonpublic schools that:
- Are listed on the department’s nonpublic schools list,
- have applied to and are approved by the department to participate in the IEA Program, and
- are listed on the department's approved list of IEA participating schools posted on the IEA webpage.
IEA Participating Non-Public School Handbook
To be eligible to participate in the IEA Program, a participating private school must agree to comply with requirements including, but not limited to the following:
- As part of the application process, demonstrate financial viability verifying that the school is able to pay an aggregate amount equal to the amount of IEA funds expected to be disbursed during the school year
- Conduct criminal background checks on employees pursuant to the IEA rules approved by the State Board of Education
- Certify that the school will not discriminate against students or applicants on the basis of race, color, or national origin
- Comply with all health and safety laws or codes that apply to nonpublic schools
- Exclude from employment any person not permitted by state law to work in a nonpublic school
- Exclude from employment any person who might reasonably pose a threat to the safety of students
- Certify that the school will comply with all state laws, rules, and procedures for nonpublic schools
- Certify that the school will comply with the minimum kindergarten age requirement pursuant to Minimum Kindergarten Program Law [T.C.A § 49-6-201(b)(3)] and the State Board of Education rules for non-public school approval [Chapter 0520-07-02 Nonpublic School Approval Process].
- Certify that the school will comply with all of the IEA Program state laws, rules, and procedures for participating schools and the requirements set forth in the IEA Participating Private School Handbook.
For a complete list of the qualifications and requirements for participating schools, please see the IEA Participating Non-Public School Handbook.