Textbook and Instructional Materials Quality Commission
The State Textbook and Instructional Materials Quality Commission is composed of 11 members whose responsibility is to recommend an official list of textbooks and instructional materials for approval of the State Board of Education. By law, the Commission includes:
- two directors of schools,
- a principal,
- one teacher or supervisor from grades K-3,
- one teacher or supervisor from grades 4-8,
- one teacher or supervisor from grades 9-12, and
- one member not employed in the educational system of the state from each of the three grand divisions of the state.
- two school librarians or retired school librarians
The citizen members shall be appointed as follows:
- (a) The governor shall appoint a person who resides in the western grand division;
- (b) The speaker of the senate shall appoint a person who resides in the eastern grand division; and
- (c) The speaker of the house of representatives shall appoint a person who resides in the middle grand division
The Commissioner of Education, a deputy commissioner or an assistant commissioner of education serving as the commissioner’s designee, shall be an ex officio secretary of the commission, with the right to vote, and shall serve without additional compensation for such service.
The Tennessee state library coordinator shall serve as an ex offico non-voting member of the commission.
|Member Name||Term Start||Term Expiration||Position||Appointed by|
|Vacant||7/1/2023||6/30/2026||Director of Schools||Speaker|
|Dr. Linda Cash||7/1/2023||6/30/2026||Director of Schools - Bradley Co.||Lt. Governor|
|Mr. Billy Bryan||7/1/2021||6/30/2024||Teacher or Instructional Supervisor, Grades 9-12||Governor|
|Ms. Deborah Chancellor||7/1/2021||6/30/2024||Teacher or Instructional Supervisor, Grades 4-8||Lt. Governor|
|Dr. Kathy Hickie||7/1/2021||6/30/2024||Teachers or Instructional Supervisors, Grades K-3||Speaker|
|Ms. Lee Houston||7/1/2022||6/30/2025||Librarian||Speaker|
|Mr. Mike Bell||7/1/2022||6/30/2025||East Tennessee Public Member||Lt. Governor|
|Mr. Daniel French||7/1/2022||6/30/2025||West Tennessee Public Member||Governor|
|Ms. Laurie Cardoza-Moore||7/1/2022||6/30/2025||Middle Tennessee Public Member||Speaker|
|Ms. Katie Capshaw||7/1/2022||6/30/2025||Librarian||Lt. Governor|
Before members of the Commission begin to discharge their duties, they shall take and subscribe to the following oath: "I do hereby declare that I am not now directly or indirectly financially interested in, or employed by, any textbook or instructional materials publisher or agency, and that I will not become directly or indirectly financially interested in any of the proposed contracts, nor in any book or instructional materials, nor in any publishing concern handling or offering any books or other publications to the commission, of which I am a member, for listing and adoption, and I do hereby promise that I will act honestly, faithfully and conscientiously, and in all respects will discharge my duty as a member of this commission to the best of my skill and ability."