Division: Performance Management, Deputy Commissioner’s Office
Classification (Payroll Title): EDUC CONSULTANT 3
Position Number: 00017686
Reports to: Senior Director, Performance Management Division
Last Revised Date: June 1, 2022
Anticipated Salary: $60,000
Department of Education Vision: We will set all students on a path to success.
· Academics: All Tennessee students will have access to a high-quality education, no matter where they live.
· Student Readiness: Tennessee public schools will be equipped to serve the academic and non-academic needs of all students.
· Educators: Tennessee will set a new path for the education profession and be the top state to become and remain a teacher and leader.
The Performance Management Division (PMD) supports the achievement of TDOE’s strategic plan by leading the department in developing and implementing project and process plans across all workstreams. Through coaching, capacity building, progress monitoring, and development of cross-team connections, the team supports every division in reaching their goals for students. The coordinator will support this work by working with all divisions to gather and organize data and information on projects, assisting other PMD team members with development and delivery of content, and by serving as internal consultant and thought partner on ways to continuously reflect on and improve department systems. The coordinator will also join the department’s strategic response team, a small group focused on responding to high priority cross-team challenges.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in education, project management, or a relevant field. Advanced degree is preferred.
- At least three (3) years of work experience. Experience working in an educational or policy context or advanced degree related to education or policy preferred.
- Experience in coaching team members and leading by influence to achieve results
- Experience in coordinating and organizing events, meetings and/or training sessions
- Highly skilled in Microsoft Office applications and managing the lifecycle of complex technical documents
1. Monitoring and Reporting: Monitor and manage project quality to ensure project deliverables are acceptable and fulfill the terms of the project contract or specifications.
2. Evaluation and Follow-Up: Provide an analysis of various data points related to project planning and completion and formulate recommendations based on trends in the data. Analyze and monitor projects to identify issues, risks, and opportunities for improvement and design strategies to mitigate or avoid future risks.
3. Communication: Serve as a communication channel across the agency and among initiatives. Assess the needs of internal stakeholders and work with the team to create communication structures to better serve performance management needs.
4. Team Support: Support Performance Management team members as they coach their project and process owners via developing resources, delivering training sessions, and making cross-team connections.
5. Coordination and Logistics: Manage coordination and logistics for PMD processes, including department-wide process improvement cycles, focus groups and training sessions.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
· Active Learning – Understands the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
· Active Listening – Gives full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
· Critical Thinking/Complex Problem Solving – Breaks down tasks and complex issues to inform decision-making, generates creative solutions to problems, Effectively builds case to drive decision-making
· Presenting and Writing – Communicates effectively as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
· Prioritization – Knows what is most important, sequences work activities appropriately, adjusts plans when appropriate and necessary
· Service Orientation – Actively looks for ways to help people.
· Results and Achievement Orientation – Consistently produces high-quality work, Follows through on commitments, meets deadlines
· Constant Learner – Actively seeks feedback and uses it to improve work
· Internal Stakeholder Management – Builds and manages effective working relationships with internal stakeholders
· Organization – Pays meticulous attention to detail, manages multiple projects at once
The duties of the specialist will primarily be carried out indoors, in environmentally controlled conditions. The employee will be required to perform general physical abilities and handle and move objects.
Physical demands include walking, standing, bending, lifting, climbing stairs, and moving during working hours.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full time position. Expected work hours are 37.5 hours per week, from 8-4:30pm with an hour lunch break.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for their job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references to: Ashleigh.email@example.com.
Pursuant to the State of Tennessee's policy of non-discrimination, the Tennessee Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, or military services in its policies, or in the admission of, access to, treatment, or employment in its programs, services, or activities.
Tennessee Department of Education also provides reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. If you need an accommodation during the application process, please contact the Human Capital team at 615-741-5158. You can also direct your request for accommodation in writing to the Tennessee Department of Education, Attn: Human Capital Division, 710 James Robertson Pkwy., Nashville, TN 37243.