Reports To: Chief of Staff
Tennessee Department of Education
710 James Robertson Parkway
Nashville, TN 37243
Anticipated Salary Range:
This employee will serve as the commissioner’s executive assistant and will operate as a critical member of the chief of staff team, working closely with the commissioner and other senior department leaders daily. The employee in this position will provide critical support to the commissioner and her team, primarily coordinating and leading all aspects of the commissioner’s schedule, time management, and expense processing. In addition, this employee will provide support to the commissioner with meeting preparation and logistics, and commissioner’s office administrative tasks. This employee will represent the department when communicating with external stakeholders with professionalism, warmth, and efficiency such that relationships can be built and maintained.
Specific Position Responsibilities:
The Executive Assistant:
· Manages the commissioner’s scheduling process by planning and scheduling meetings, conferences, calls, and travel, communicating with stakeholders requesting the meeting, and ensuring the commissioner is prepped for each meeting.
· Interfaces with external agencies requesting time with the commissioner and represents the department in these communications with professionalism and efficiency
· Coordinates and manages all expenses, travel, and operations related to the commissioner’s daily tasks and responsibilities.
· Maintains confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential
· Works closely and effectively with the chief of staff to keep the commissioner well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately
· Completes critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting acknowledgement letters, personal correspondence, and other tasks that facilitate the commissioner’s ability to effectively lead the organization
· Tracks down, follows through, and delivers on outstanding team members’ assignments and action items
· Manages deliverables and expectations for submissions, interactions, and movements in and beyond the commissioner’s office
· Other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree
· Strong work tenure: experience supporting C-level Executives or government agencies
· Proficient in Microsoft Office and project management tools (Planner, Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat, and various virtual conferencing platforms
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
· Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly and simultaneously with excellent attention to detail
· Style and approach are focused on efficiency to match the fast-paced needs of the organization, spanning broad scale, reach, and need
· Trusted written and verbal communicator
· Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, directors, and external partners
· Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability
· Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independent
· A fast paced, quick thinker able to gracefully push teams forward to meet expectations
· Warm and welcoming, matches and models the respected tone and tenor of the commissioner’s office in knowledge of agency and work, timeliness of responses, and helpfulness
· Takes pride in individual ownership of work, maintaining high expectations and timely delivery
Department of Education Vision: We will set all students on a path to success.
Priorities: Academics: All Tennessee students will have access to a high-quality education, no matter where they live. Student Readiness: Tennessee public schools will be equipped to serve the academic and non-academic needs of all students. Educators: Tennessee will set a new path for the education profession and be the top state to become and remain a teacher and leader.
Minimal travel around the state and to limited national meetings and conferences may be required (~5-10%).
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for their job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
Please send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pursuant to the State of Tennessee's policy of non-discrimination, the Tennessee Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, or military services in its policies, or in the admission of, access to, treatment, or employment in its programs, services, or activities.