Math and Movement has been used with great success in Anderson County Schools (ACS) for the past six years. ACS uses it within the regular classroom, special education /intervention setting and in physical education classes. Through various studies, ACS has found that this program has allowed students to become more fluent in math skills and more successful at remembering math concepts, while simultaneously keeping them active and increasing their physical activity minutes. It fits perfectly into any environment as it presents information and allows students to practice math in all learning modalities.
Tools and Resources
- Math and Movement uses simple and fun exercises to help introduce the fundamentals of arithmetic and early algebra concepts to children of all ages.
- A collection of math/movement quick activities.
- Active Academics is a collaborative initiative developed by teachers to provide active classroom solutions. Find activities that fit your classroom needs and help incorporate physical activity throughout the day.
- Designed for elementary and middle school, these 10 minute classroom activities tie in academic concepts with physical activity. Activities are also available for after-school programs.
- Through the integration of movement, nutrition and health with core academic content, TAKE10 promotes physical activity, healthy eating, and learning in a fun and creative way. With just 10 minutes of classroom-based activity and numerous activities per grade level, TAKE10 integrates reading into physical activity.
- Classroom activity solutions brought to you by the world's most researched & field-tested physical education program! Extensive evidence supports the association between school-based physical activity (PA) and academic performance. SPARKabc’s (Activity Break Choices) is an exciting new program that helps classroom teachers use physical activity to improve academic achievement and foster healthy behaviors. Content includes Classroom ASAP’s (Active Soon As Possible) as well as physical activities that support learning standards in Literacy/Language Arts, STEM, Social Studies, Nutrition Education, and the Common Core State Standards Initiative.